I bought a 3lb bag of yellow onions the other day. (I price matched it for $0.98!!)
Unfortunately, I forgot that I already had a bag of onions at home. So, I had to find something to do with them.
I’ve never made this soup before and honestly had only had it once or twice – at a restaurant where it was super salty. But, I decided to go ahead and try it out since I had all the ingredients on hand. I also added a few tweaks of my own as I was cooking.
Oh my word. When it was done….whew. It was so good it made me cry. (Well, really, the crying began when I was slicing the onions, but it still counts, right?)
And just for cuteness sake – Evie liked it, too!
4 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
1 stick butter
5 cups water
5 tsp Better Than Bouillon (beef flavor)
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup white wine
1) Slice the onions in half, then slice thinly. Peel and mince garlic.
2) Melt the butter in a large pan, then add the onions and garlic.
3) Over medium heat, caramelize the onions, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching – about 15 minutes.
4) Add water, Better Than Bouillon – stir to dissolve; then add the bay leaves, thyme, and white wine.
5) Allow to simmer for approximately 1 hour.
6) Serve with your favorite white cheese melted over the top. Tradition dictates Gruyere, but we had Mozzarella on hand and it worked just fine.
**Better Than Bouillon does not state that it is gluten-free on the package. I use it as I have never had any adverse effects. However, my gluten intolerance does not leave me as sensitive as those with Celiac Disease are. Please use discretion when using a package not marked “gluten-free”.
An easy substitute would be 5 cups of gluten-free beef broth.